About two days ago, I was gleefully telling Papi Chulo about Real Lime crystalized lime that I’d just discovered and how I couldn’t wait to use it when he pointed out that I really like lime and put it in everything. I was quick to point out that I’ve never put lime on cereal or in oatmeal, but then admitted that I did have yogurt lime popsicles in the freezer! Maybe I do put lime in a lot of things, but that doesn’t make these tangy treats any less tempting!
These popsicles are super easy to make and a welcome change from overly-sweet frozen items. This recipe makes enough for about 6 popsicles. Because my mold only has four cavities, I poured the rest into small cups and used actual wooden popsicle sticks!
Greek yogurt tends to be pretty tangy on its own, so make sure you test it out and adjust the level of sugar, as needed. I like the popsicles good and tangy, but things can be too tart to be enjoyable. For my tastes and favorite yogurt, 4 teaspoons of sugar turned out just right, but it may be different for you.
- 1⅓ cups of plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons of lime juice
- 1 tablespoon of lime zest
- 4 teaspoons of sugar (or your favorite sweetener) + more, as needed
- Combine all the ingredients thoroughly in a bowl.
- Pour (or spoon, depending your on your yogurt) the mixture into your popsicle molds or small paper cups. Make sure to leave space at the top for expansion!
- Insert your popsicle sticks and freeze until solid. I like to just leave them overnight and eliminate the guesswork.
- Run warm water over the mold to make releasing the popsicles easier and enjoy!
I think these also make great post-workout snacks because Greek yogurt is full of protein and I always want something cool when I get home from the gym!
What’s your favorite popsicle flavor? Do you use a mold, or prefer to keep it old-school with paper cups and wooden sticks?