This post may include affiliate links, which means I make a commission on purchases made through these links at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support! !
Men need homemade gifts, too! I already shared a unisex lotion bar recipe, so this week I thought I’d continue the self-care trend with a homemade shaving cream recipe.
This works great for men who prefer the brush and lather method, but it works fine for the ladies, too!
It’s very moisturizing and I selected two essential oils – citronella and cedar oil – that are known for their insect repellent properties. You can, of course, use any scents you’d like, or even no scent at all, but the more woodsy, masculine oils seemed appropriate for this project.
Alternatively, you can change up the scents and just make it as a fantastically moisturizing cream! This is not a soap, so you can use it for deep nourishment of skin in need of hydration.
I decided to write this recipe after experiencing somewhat annoying failure with a couple of other recipes I found online. To me, they contained way too much oil and simply turned into a near-liquid at room temperature.
I wanted whipped, creamy shaving cream goodness!
This recipe is more solid and very moisturizing, making it idea for cooler weather use and for legs. Ladies, don’t be afraid to make this for yourself instead of giving it as a gift to a man! I chose to use cocoa butter instead of shea butter for this project becuase shea butter is a bit more solid and I live in a warm area. It does have a chocolatly aroma you may want to take into consideration when planning your scents. Alternatively, you can simply use shea butter – it works just as well and is actually slightly easier to melt.
Ingredients for Homemade Shaving Cream
- 2/3 cup cocoa butter
- 2/3 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of almond oil
- 10 drops of citronella essential oil
- 5 drops of cedar oil
**note – you can also halve the recipe! Just use 1/3 cup of the cocoa butter and coconut oil with 1 tablespoon of almond oil and less essential oil!**
DIY Shaving Cream Recipe
This tutorial is amazingly easy – the hardest part is waiting for the mixture to cool down so you can whip it!
1. Combine the cocoa butter and coconut oil in a small saucepan and heat over low heat, stirring occasionally, until it is melted and combined. You can use a double boiler set up if you’d like, but as long as you heat on low and remove the pan from the heat when the cocoa butter is melted, you should be fine without a double boiler.
2. Off the heat, stir in the almond oil and essential oils.
3. Refrigerate until the mixture is almost solid and remove it from the fridge.
4. Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer, beat until the mixture is noticeably creamy. This should take 1-2 minutes. Even the heat of the mixer may start to melt the coconut oil – don’t stress. It will resolidify at room temperature.
5. Transfer the mixture to a class or plastic container with a tightly fitting lid. Store in a cool, dark place and enjoy!
Additional tip – If you live in a hot climate, you may want to add a tablespoon or two of kaolin clay. This helps keep the shaving cream more solid and acts as an exfoliant. If you’re in a cold climate and want to add the clay, you may also want to add at extra tablespoon of almond oil.
Whenever you use essential oils for a project like this, it’s vital to make sure you use ones that are 1) safe for topical use and 2) pure essential oils, not chemical “fragrance oils.” I used to exclusively use DoTerra essential oils, but a lot has changed in the years since then! There are so many brands available these days that you really have to go with what feels best for you and your family. I currently mostly purchase NOW Foods essential oils when I need something new. Just make sure to read the description – they have some that aren’t pure essential oils, but they are clearly marked.
More natural self-care product recipes