This post may include affiliate links, which means I make a commission on purchased made through these links at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support! !
I’ve always enjoyed creating homemade gifts for holidays and birthdays. In the last couple of years, family members may have even enjoyed receiving these gifts! They stuck with me through all the really odd mishaps and didn’t turn out as planned designs, and now here I am blogging tutorials and spending my weekends at craft shows. I’m sure I’m not the only person who enjoys making presents, so today I’m really excited to announce the first post in a series of homemade gift idea tutorials! I’m kicking off the series with an origami paper leaf earring tutorial. They are simple to master, impressive to look at, and can be personalized easily simply by changing what paper design and size you use. Let’s get started!
Supplies for origami paper leaf earrings
- A sheet of origami paper + additional pieces of paper/more origami paper to practice. I recommend 3″ or 2.5″ paper. I used this pack of 3″ paper.
- A pair of scissors.
- Glue – My favorite go-to glue is Original Tacky Glue
- Two jump rings.
- A pair of earring hooks. I use and recommend hypoallergenic ear wires.
- Clear, matte acrylic spray (optional but recommended)
Free free to make your own jump rings if you have the materials and that’s something you like to do!
Origami paper leaf earring tutorial
1. Fold your square piece of origami paper neatly in half to form two triangles, taking it from this:
2. Next, unfold the paper and carefully cut along your fold line to create two triangles.
3. Place the patterned side of one triangle down on your work surface and create a small, even fold, as shown below. This fold should be 1/4″ wide or less.
4. Continue making folds back and forth, as shown, until you’ve folded all of the paper out to the triangle’s point. Take care to make each fold the same width as the previous ones and crease them with your thumb nail (or even a bone folder, if you have one) to make sure they’re nice and crisp.
5. Cut off the little remaining triangle tip.
6. Carefully fold the piece in half, as shown below, and crease the fold as firmly as possible.
7. After finding and creasing the half way point, slip a jump ring over the folded papers and slide it to the fold.
8. Following the directions for your specific adhesive, carefully glue the folded paper together only along the first, center fold. Make sure you don’t get glue all over the other folds or the leaf won’t fan out!
9. While the first leaf is drying, repeat steps 1-8 for the other triangle of paper.
9. After the glue is dry, carefully fan out the leaves.
11. If desired, coat the back and front of both leaves with a clear, matte acrylic spray, like Mod Podge or Krylon. This enables them to hold their form better and makes them much more durable.
12. Hang ear wires from the jump rings and admire your new earrings!
So, what do you think? I love them! Have you ever worn paper jewelry before? You obviously shouldn’t wear them to the pool, but I love how lightweight they are because it makes them very easy to wear and perfect for people with sensitive ears.
I hope you enjoyed the first installment of my easy homemade gift idea tutorial series! I’m looking forward to sharing my ideas and really hope you stop by on Thursdays over the next three months to check for more tutorials. Each one of them will be easy to accomplish, even with limited prior crafting experience and equipment, and will create a gift-worthy item to be proud of. If you have any questions about a tutorial, please don’t hesitate to ask – I am always happy to help out!
- Easy Mini Wine Cork Starfish Beach Art Tutorial I have to admit that last week’s pineapple pallet art tutorial is a bit involved! That’s why this week I’m …
- Upcycled Can Pumpkins – Recycled Tin Can Pumpkin Tutorial My husband has never carved a pumpkin. Never, ever. He grew up in Miami, where the warm weather would surely …
- Super Easy Homemade Body Wash from a Bar of Soap I’m one of those people who likes to use body wash. Unfortunately, body wash costs more than bar soap and …
- Easy DIY Bracelets – Tips for Easy Bracelets with Convenience Supplies Today I wanted to share a combo currently crafting/really easy tutorial and a reminder that it’s totally okay to give …