This post may include affiliate links, which means I make a commission on purchased made through these links at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support! !
Halloween has come and gone for 2016 (sad face), but mermaids are evergreen so I’m sharing tips for making a mermaid bra! It seems like a fairly straightforward process – just hot glue shells and shiny things to a bra – but I wanted to share a few tips and tricks I’ve figured out while making my mermaid bra top. I hope you enjoy. =)
Mermaid Bra Tip #1 – Don’t worry if you can’t find an inexpensive bra that’s “perfect” because you can spray paint it! Yep, that’s right – spray paint it. I found a two pack of cheapo bras for $10 and ended up spray painting both of them gold for different projects. If you want to spray paint a bra:
- Go ahead and cut off any bows and tags prior to spray painting
- Try the bra on and adjust the straps to the correct length. If you just them later, you’ll end up with a funny looking spot on the back that doesn’t have paint!
- Apply the paint in short bursts and layer it on slowly to avoid unsightly drips and stiff fabric that’s crunchy from all the paint.
- Make sure to paint from all angles, especially if your bra has lace on it
Mermaid Bra Tip #2 – Think outside the box when gathering supplies. Don’t just pick out shells and plastic pearls – look around for more unusual adornments like flowers, rope, twine, driftwood, net, tulle, and even charms. Remember that you don’t have to add every single thing you find, so go ahead and gather a lot of fun things together for inspiration before you start gluing!
Mermaid Bra Tip #3 – Plan your creation. Before you break out the hot glue, plan. You won’t be able to put every single thing in its place before adding some glue, but try to have at least a fairly good idea of what you want before you start gluing. I returned to this step over and over – I’d plan, glue on a few elements, then plan some more before gluing on additional pieces. I originally wanted to put this starfish in the middle, but I realized it wouldn’t work well when I put the bra on. Good thing I didn’t just glue it in place right off the bat!
Mermaid Bra Tip #4 – Remember that you’ll have to wear it! At least, I’m assuming you plan to wear it. Try not to place elements that are likely to stab you in the chest or under the arms. Speaking of stabbing in the arm – that light colored piece of driftwood did stab me in the arm a bit. I knew it would and attached it anyway because I liked it, but I have to be careful to keep my arm out a little when I wear the bra.
Mermaid Bra Tip #5 – It’s okay to add items to the straps and band, but remember that these pieces need to stretch. If you glue something really large to the straps or bands, it may pop off when you put the bra on.
Mermaid Bra Tip #6 – Consider using high temp hot glue. You have to be more careful not to burn yourself, but high temp glue tends to be more permanent. Look for a “mini” high temp glue gun like this one because it’s way easier to handle than a large one.
Mermaid Bra Tip #7 – Have fun!! If you want to add flowers, add flowers! If you prefer ‘non-traditional colors,’ go for it. It’s your creation and you can make it however you’d like. =)
Now go out and mermaid!
Have you ever dressed up as a mermaid? Or made some other decorative bra as part of a costume?
- DIY Shabby Embellished Clothes Hangers I’ve been doing a lot of closet and drawer cleaning lately while preparing for our upcoming move. It really got …
- Super Unique Free Printable Holiday Gift Tags Welcome to this collection of super unique free printable holiday gift tags! These are tags I’ve made and personally used …
- Frosted “Beach Glass” and Easy Fork Bow Ornament Tutorial Now that it’s December, I don’t have any reservations blogging about Christmas decorations. Not that my personal decorating preferences stopped …
- Santa Muerte Day of the Dead Nicho Tutorial with Free Printables and Vaseline Resist Paint Antiquing At first glance, Day of the Dead celebrations seem highly macabre. Maybe it’s the holiday’s proximity to Halloween that gets …